Still operating in survival-mode after emerging from the walled garden, AOL makes good and strikes a definite hit with one of their latest music features: Rock Clichés: The 89 Most Redundant, Repetitive Clichés in Music.
It’s really a fantastic feature… some of my favs:
83. “The Third-Single Power Ballad”
47. “The Bad-Ass Runaway” – ahem… remember Poison’s “Fallen Angel”?
42. “Having a TV Has-Been in Your Video” – yeah… you listening there Moby?
30. “Songs About Breathing” – omg – hilariously true! Who knew?
19. “Dating Winona Ryder” – Did she date Elliott Smith?
They missed one important cliché: the sophomore album (or occassionally a later release) that inevitably complains about how much success really sucks – off the top of my head Pink, Hole, Nirvana, Elliott Smith, Alanis Morrissette and Madonna are all culprits.
This cliché really deserves a whole post of its own – but that’s for another day.